zen030

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Old White Building ...

... standing in front of the old while building, it's so quiet, I feel nothing, this is a place where you feel absolutely nothing ... no excitement, no fear, no curiosity, nothing. This is a place where you simply feel dead.

"Is it still here?", I asked a guy. He is the parking guy, the guy who helps people to park their vehicle, in return people "voluntarily" give him a couple of cents.

"It's inside", he replied.

I looked around, trying to find the entrance. There it is, stairs on the left side of the building, old dirty small stairs. I stepped in ... So there it is! The oldest billiard-place in town. I've been there and here. Oh boy, This one is different, trust me. One of the weirdest place I've ever been.

First look, it did not give me a good first impression about the place. Old billiard tables with blue or green broken cover all over. Table size is small, it felt like a toy for kids. The balls, tiny balls with uneven shape, it's not even round anymore! And tiny broken sticks to hit the balls. Those Billiard guys in ESPN or StarSport won't be able to beat anyone here!

I sweated my body all over. It's hot, don't even think about air conditioner. The old room seems like losing its oxygen by minutes.

The old lady with cigarette on her mouth, sitting staring at the tables, waiting for a game to be finished. She will stand and go to table to rack the balls for a new game. What a nice place for an old lady to work. I guessed she would have chose any other job in the world except this one if she could ...

The players who keep shouting and swearing every time they made a mistake on the shot. Strange local accent but I still can understand the language. A tiny skinny guy with tattoos all over his left leg, quiet, looking at the balls seriously. Two guys were playing the game with occasional light conversation, I think they were taxi drivers. A bunch of young guys played the games, just another night to waste the fu***ng time just like what I am doing right now. I lighted a cigarette up, picked a billiard table close to an empty chair. I felt the table is quiet enough, away from people. I sat down, waiting for my friend to arrive and play the game ... looking at the room, at the people, I had only one thought at that moment ... Stagnant ....

I remembered the way of life that I have always tried to live by ... Kaizen. A concept which was popularized in Japan, it means Continuous Improvement. It emphasizes that a process will start with something, sub-processes in between and end with something. A process is improved if we improve the sub-processes in between. Get rid the defects and add something useful in the sub-processes. Improving the sub-processes in the end will improve the output of the process ...

Klez: "Weird, I gotta tell this to someone or something (it doesnt really matter) ..."

Klez: "Some place are meant to be dead as a rat!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home